Tuesday 18 June 2024

Being a bit brave & happy

Over the last few months Ive come to realise that I've been trying to turn my art into a business.

I didn't restart drawing to make money or build a business.
I restarted drawing after 40 years, because it makes me happy.
Drawing drawings that I think other people will like, buying stock, finding stockists, doing craft fairs with minimal sales (what kind of idiot starts a business selling art in a recession?), doesn't make me happy.

I've got 2 more Lynton Town Hall markets to do and I might book the town hall Christmas market because I like being at the town hall it makes me happy to be part of the village, but these 3 markets will be the last.

Instead of which I am going to start applying to exhibit my work in art exhibitions, thanks to the broken chaotic life we lead my mental state is fragile, which has left me scared of pushing myself to far and the possibility I'll fail and failure will break me. But failure is only a thing when you stop trying, so the answer is not to stop trying

SO ... I've just applied to a local summer exhibition, it doesn't matter if my work gets chosen, the fact I've been brave enough to do it is enough.
One of the pieces I have submitted is my First Quarter of Summer, maybe I will finally finish the other 3 quarters. 
And maybe next year I'll be extra brave and apply for the RA summer exhibition!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda

    First off, I love all the things you make. (I’m a particularly big fan of your crochet books.) Wonderful work.

    Secondly, I can’t agree with you more. I find that if I make what I think other people want, I begin to resent the craft, in my case lampwork beads, and I don’t enjoy it. My best results happen when I’m liking what I’m making. That can make me sound selfish but sometimes we have to be a little bit selfish. I’ve found that every time I’ve contemplated giving up lampworking it’s always been at a time when I’ve been trying to please potential customers rather than myself.

    Lastly, fair play to you submitting your work. Putting stuff out there can be a nerve racking experience. Well done to you.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's a relief to allow myself to step back, Ive been building & running my own business all my life. You have to do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete