Thursday 25 July 2024

Drawing for me

Looking through my photo's I realised that last year was the year I drew for everyone else but me. 
I wanted (and needed) to sell prints, due to the recession which has shrunk all my income streams into a trickle.
I thought that if I drew what I thought people would like to buy that the prints would sell, but I hadn't considered that just because you like something it doesn't mean you are going to buy it.


I also drew for the people who said "I'd love to see a drawing of my building/shop/house etc etc" at the time I considered this was an intent to buy, but it wasn't. It was exactly what they said, "I would love to see.." not "I would like to buy.."
Over the last year attending fairs & markets numerous people commented that their house wasn't on one of my drawings, so they wouldn't buy it, but if I did a drawing that included their house that they would buy a print.

Over the past few weeks I have been considering starting several new drawings that would include all the missing houses, I even printed several photo's to use as inspiration, but I haven't been inspired enough to put pen to paper.
I think life is telling me to draw for me, so I'm rewinding, hoping I'll get back to here or some place similar.

At present I have a block about starting something and getting it wrong, so Iam colouring and altering prints that don't sell.
At the moment I'm working on Hollerday House


Which started off as this.


The coloured version is a bit of a mess, as I'm still trying to find the right pens to use, there are a few places where the markers have bled over the line or tiny spots of colour when the acrylic pen decided to leak, but on the whole I'm very happy and enjoying every minute of it.

At the moment my guilty pleasure is looking at pens on-line trying to find the perfect one to colour prints, a few have accidentally ended up in the post on their way to me 😁

2 comments:

  1. I’m loving the move to colour in your prints , they look fabulous, esp Hollerday House which has a rich sense to it now reflecting perhaps the original owner 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful drawings, Amanda.

    “At present I have a block about starting something and getting it wrong” – that is the story of my life right now! It’s such a stupid feeling and I know it’s daft but it’s so difficult to push that feeling aside.

    I hope your new pens are bringing you joy.

    ReplyDelete